a home for personal storytelling. We believe everyone has a story, and everyone should have a place to tell it.

Author Topic: Call for Submissions: A New Book of Six-Word Illustrations by Students  (Read 3280 times)

Meredith S.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Newbie
Big news! SMITH is announcing a new book of Six-Word Memoirs with a great new twist: all the memoirs will be illustrated by students. By students we mean grade school to grad school, art classes of all ages or the work of MFA candidates. We’ll be taking submissions from June 1 though October 15 and choosing a selection of the illustrated memoirs for inclusion in our forthcoming eBook, “Things Don’t Have to be Complicated” The Art of Six-Word Memoirs by Students of the World.”

Published by TED Books, a division of the TED Conference, this book will be the eighth in the Six-Word Memoir series—and our very first entirely by students.

SPECS
• All illustrated Six-Word Memoirs must be the original work of the artist.
• The Six-Word Memoir should be contained within the work (in any way the artist sees fit) not as a caption alongside the works.
• Multiple submissions allowed.
• Images should be submitted in one of two sizes:
- 1536×2048 (portrait)
- 2048×1536 (landscape)

SUBMIT
• Send your submission to news@smithmag.net by October 15, 2012. We’ll let you know by November 15 if you’ve been selected for inclusion in the book.

• If your submission is chosen, we’ll ask you for a 100-word or less description of yourself and/or your story, along with one personal web link (blog, Tumblr, etc.).

EXAMPLES:
Check out what some others have done with this form on our    
Facebook gallery
and our Six in Schools blog.

COPYRIGHT
Copyright of the work will be shared by the Artist and SMITH and TED Books. SMITH and TED have the right to distribute the work in any media; the Artist also has the right to reproduce the work elsewhere.

Please circulate widely to students, teachers, after-school programs and anyone and anywhere else you think would be interested in this project.

Katniss

• Forum Regular
Thanks for the big notice sign! Quick question, is there a certain theme to this book? Or is it any memoir we choose? (Including the ones we have previously made?)

A Farm Girl

• Forum Poster
One thing I am not entirely clear on: If I have an original memoir, can I collaborate with another teen to help me make an original drawing?

IAmAlive

• Forum Newbie
I like to take pictures..... Does it have to be a drawing or could I do a photo?

whiteknight

• Forum Newbie
Re: Call for Submissions: A New Book of Six-Word Illustrations by Students
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »
Question: can it be drawn digitally?? also, any theme?

Wolfp3lt

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »
Wait... How can we tell the size of the picture or drawing or whatever? ???

Meredith S.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
Gah! These answers are a LONG time coming, but I hope you've all still had the chance to send in your memoirs to the address above. If not, let me know!

- No theme. Just artistic interpretations of your six-word memoirs.

- You can illustrate an image you've already submitted to SMITH or SMITHTeens.

- Yes, images can be digital illustrations!

- Words and illustrations must be your own (so no collaborations)

- When you upload as a jpeg, you should be able to see the size.

- Photos can be a part of the piece, but six-word memoirs must be incorporated artistically (i.e., not just as a caption). Make sense?

Thanks all! Look forward to reviewing all submissions!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:02:14 PM by Meredith S. »